Schokland used to be an island in the Zuiderzee. And so it had a harbour. That is now called the harbour of Oud-Emmeloord. The harbour was built in 1839. In bad weather, boaters sought shelter here from the strong westerly winds and fish were traded. Between 1915 and 1932, there was even a fish auction here at the harbour.
After the reclamation of the Noordoostpolder in 1942, the harbour lost its function and was largely demolished. In the 1980s, the harbour heads were reconstructed.